The IWGB is moving quickly to respond to the crisis. Visit our Campaigns page to read more about our legal challenge, our twelve key demands and about volunteering with the IWGB!
We have written to the Prime Minister and the Business Secretary with twelve demands. Sign the petition to add your name!
We are taking legal action against the government over its failure to protect the wages and jobs of millions of workers during the Covid-19 pandemic. Donate to the crowdfund if you can.
The branches of the IWGB are also organising around their sectors.
- The IWGB Couriers & Logistics Branch have raised ten key demands on pay, safety and communication. Read more about couriers and Covid-19.
- The United Private Hire Drivers branch of the IWGB are demanding the immediate implementation of worker status for private hire drivers, as well as other measures on pay and safety. Jason Moyer-Lee, the IWGB General Secretary, has written open letters to Uber, Bolt, Ola, Kapten and Addison Lee.
- Riders Roovolt, the IWGB Deliveroo campaign, are sharing advice on how to support couriers when ordering through Deliveroo. Leave a tip, order ‘contact-free’ and let them know about the union!
- The IWGB University of London Branch is making ten demands to protect workers and to ensure decent pay, safety and communication. Read the full post on their blog. They are also demanding fair pay for bar workers laid off at Student Central.
- The IWGB Cleaners and Facilities Branch are fighting back against lay offs without pay. Follow them on Twitter.
- The IWGB Foster Care Workers Branch are calling for all Local Authorities and Independent Fostering Agencies to respect the right of foster carers to keep themselves, their families and the children in their care as safe as possible during this pandemic. Read their full statement.
We are also calling for a mass mobilisation of volunteers to help the union support members. Sign up here or email [email protected] with any questions.
Adapting how we organise
We have set up a temporary sub-committee to oversee the union's response to the Covid-19 crisis. We have taken the decision to suspend all upcoming AGMs. No union meetings will happen in person and we will not be calling any in-person protests.
Visit our Support and Advice page for advice or to report any problems that you are experiencing due to the crisis.
You can get in touch with us via our Contact form. To report a case to the IWGB Legal Department, please use our online Casework form.
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone (English): 07401 272879
- Teléfono (Español): 07471 328822
NHS health advice
- Wash your hands with soap and water often – do this for at least 20 seconds
- Always wash your hands when you get home or into work
- Use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
- Put used tissues in the bin immediately and wash your hands afterwards
- Avoid close contact with people who have symptoms of coronavirus
- Only travel on public transport if you need to
- Work from home, if you can
- Avoid social activities, such as going to pubs, restaurants, theatres and cinemas
- Avoid events with large groups of people
- Use phone, online services, or apps to contact your GP surgery or other NHS services
- Do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean
- Do not have visitors to your home, including friends and family